Novelist Alex Wheatle discusses with Ivan six things which he thinks should be better known.
Alex Wheatle was born in London of Jamaican parents. His first book,Brixton Rock (1999), tells the story of a 16-year old boy of mixed race, in 1980s Brixton.
His most recent novels, Liccle Bit (2015), Crongton Knights (2016) – winner of the Guardian Children’s Fiction Prize – and Straight Outta Crongton (2017), are novels for young adult readers, focusing on the lives of teenagers and families on the fictional South Crongton council estate.
In 2010, he wrote and toured the one-man autobiographical performance, Uprising. His play, Shame & Scandal, had its debut at the Albany Theatre, Deptford in October 2015. He was awarded an MBE for services to literature in 2008.
1. Right Time by the Mighty Diamonds https://inreviewonline.com/2015/07/17/right-time/
2. The Black Jacobins by CLR James https://www.bl.uk/20th-century-literature/articles/an-introduction-to-c-l-r-jamess-the-black-jacobins
3. Exodus by Bob Marley and the Wailers https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/reviews/8dcz/
5. Huckleberry Finn https://www.vqronline.org/essay/huckleberry-finn-and-problem-freedom
6. Moss Side Massive by Karline Smith https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/moss-side-massive-karline-smith/1002107207