Peter Blegvad discusses with Ivan six things which should be better known.
1. Small presses in the UK https://www.thisissplice.co.uk/about-splice/small-presses-in-the-uk/
2. Amateurs https://fs.blog/2017/08/amateurs-professionals/
3. Wilson “Snowflake” Bentley https://siarchives.si.edu/history/featured-topics/stories/wilson-bentley-pioneering-photographer-snowflakes
4. Lucia Berlin https://www.lrb.co.uk/v40/n23/patricia-lockwood/sex-on-the-roof
6. Chris Cutler’s Probes series of podcasts https://rwm.macba.cat/en/probes_tag
Peter is a writer, graphic artist, songwriter and broadcaster. He has been making music since the mid 70s with Slapp Happy, Faust, Henry Cow, John Greaves, The Golden Palominos, John Zorn, Andy Partridge and others.
His weekly comic strip, Leviathan, ran in the Independent on Sunday from 1991-98 and The Book of Leviathan was published in the UK and the US in 2000. A Mandarin translation was published in 2010. A French translation won le Prix de Révelation at Angoulême Festival in 2014. The Pedestrian, a photo-based strip, is online here: http://www.electrocomics.com/strips.htm
He has supplied BBC Radio 3 with ‘eartoons’ since 2002, and has won two Sony awards for his radio work, one in 2003 and one in 2012 (the latter for Use It Or Lose It a collaboration with Iain Chambers).
He taught Creative Writing at the University of Warwick for 15 years and was Senior Tutor in Visual Writing at the Royal College of Art, London from 2012 – 2015. He has taught several illustration workshops at the Die Hochschule Luzern – Design & Kunst.
In 2011 he was elected president of the London Institute of Pataphysics.
An introduction to his life-long multi-media epistemological project Imagine, Observe, Remember is online here: http://www.amateur.org.uk