This week, Will Ward discusses his six choices of things which should be better known.
1. Roald Dahl’s adult short stories – https://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/roald-dahls-twisted-overlooked-stories-for-adults They should be at least as well-known as his stories for children.
2. Tout Quarry Sculpture Park – http://learningstone.org/tout-quarry-sculpture-park/ An old Portland stone quarry turned into sculpture park
3. The Kinder Mass trespass – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_trespass_of_Kinder_Scout A mass civil disobedience event that appears (so far) to have achieved its purpose and avoided the trap of unintended consequences.
4. Terry Pratchett’s Night Watch – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Watch_(Discworld) Part of Discworld, a story of revolution and time-travel, with a healthy amount of cynicism and wit
5. The exploration of graveyards and burial grounds – http://www.londongardenstrust.org/features/cemetery.htm A chance to reflect on your mortality
6. Dougga – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dougga Roman, Numidian Berber, Punic town that is an exceptional UNESCO world heritage site in Tunisia